Saturday, September 5, 2026

Looking back - Sept 1991

 35 Years ago (Sept 1991)- I raced five times for a total of 41 miles in September of 1991. I started the month of with a Labor Day run (09/02) with a field of 1,811 at the New Haven 20k. I took 9th place in 1:01:48, winning $100 for my sub-5 minute pace effort. The race was won by Bob Kempanian in 60:17. Eric Morse took fourth 30 seconds (60:47) back.


1        1:00:17         4:52   Bob Kempainen       NH      $2,500

2        1:00:33         4:53   Chris Fox                 MD     $1,500

3        1:00:43         4:54   Driss dacha            MOR   $1,000

4        1:00:47         4:54   Eric Morse               VT      $750

5        1:00:58         4:55   Khalid Karyani         MOR   $500

6        1:01:02         4:55   Tom Wood               CO      $400

7        1:01:26         4:57   Budd Coates            PA      $300

8        1:01:43         4:59   Darrell General        MD     $200

9        1:01:48         4:59   Dave Dunham         NH      $100

10      1:01:56         5:00   Robert Quinn          CAN    $50




 

A few days later (09/06) I was off to Manchester NH for the Millyard 8km race.  The course was an unusual 3 loop effort, maybe to find flat ground? Larry Sayers was the winner in 24:07 and I took second in 24:26 in a field of 450.

 

1 Larry Sayers         24:07

2 Dave Dunham      24:26

3 Scott Clark 24:29

4 Mike O’Brien         24:32

5 Art Sorrell 24:38

6 Rob Edson 25:38

14 Petey       26:57

 

 

The next day I tried my hand at a short cross-country race. Pine Manor College hosted a 3 x 3km XC relay. I ran 9:07 for my leg. Bob Hodge and Mike Woodman also ran for the team, but we lost to BAA 28:02 to 28:07.  The following weekend Steve Peterson and I did a 30 mile long run during my 110 mile week.  We started “slowly” running a 7:54 opening mile and 72:02 for the first ten.  The tempo increased and our next 10 was 69:57 (2:21:59).  The final 10 took us 69:53 for a total of 3:31:52.

 

The next weekend (09/22) I was back on the roads at the New England 15km championships. I felt "crappy" and hung on to a big pack for the first 3 miles of hilly terrain (Webster MA). CMS's Rick Dorion won in 46:31 and I was 2nd in a disappointing 46:52.

1 Rick Dorion          46:31

2 Dave Dunham      46:52

3 Jon Corso   47:08

16 Art Demers         50:02

 

A week later (09/29) I closed out the month with a win at the Marshfield 20km road race. I may have been a bit tired from the Pogues concert the night before?  The race was part of the Hockomock Swamp Rat series. I ran 1:04:50 outkicking Craig Fram in the final stretch. 5km splits were pretty even over the "rolling" course= 16:12, 16:06, 16:15, 16:17.

1 Dave Dunham      M27    64:50

2 Craig Fram M30    64:56

3 Mike Woodman     M26    66:58

4 George Rose        M30    67:27

5 Tom Carroll M41    68:35

No comments:

Post a Comment