Friday, September 4, 2026

Looking back - 1981

 

45 Years ago (Sept 1981) - I kicked off my senior year of Cross-Country at Billerica high school with four consecutive wins and four course records in September of 1981. On the 15th we beat Lowell at home with a sweep of the top five spots (15-40). I was first in 15:17 over what I recall was an XC course in name only. I'd estimate that at least half of the course was paved. A week later (09/21) we suffered a tough loss to Chelmsford on our home course, losing by a scant point 27-28. I lowered my course record to 15:07 on this day and some familiar names from Chelmsford ran quite well that day (Scott Spence 16:03 & Keith O'Brien 16:28). Four days later (09/25) we took on Wilmington on their course where I set a record winning in 12:47, we beat them 18-37.  Three days after that (09/28) we raced at Austin Prep where I ran 12:00 for a new record on their 2.4 mile course. We won this meet as well, beating Austin 22 to 33. In all we finished with 5 wins and 1 loss in the MVC west division.


Loss 28-27 Chelmsford 09-21-81

1 15:07         Dave Dunham         Billerica

2 15:47         Mike Busnach          Billerica

3 16:03         Scott Spence           Chelmsford

4 16:26         Dave Kelts               Chelmsford

5 16:28         Keith O’Brien           Chelmsford

6 16:40         Bernie Brown           Billerica

7 16:53         Dave McCarthy        Chelmsford

8 16:58         Dave Willman          Chelmsford

9 17:12         Jim Sullivan             Billerica

10 17:31       Kevin Healy             Billerica

 

Billerica’s 7th man was Freshman Gary Disarcina who went on to play professional baseball for the California Angles from 1989-2000.  His career stats: Batting average .258, Home runs 28, Runs batted in 355.

 



Cathy Norton cheers me on as I run on a rare “grass” section of the Billerica home XC course

No comments:

Post a Comment