Saturday, October 10, 2026

Looking back - 1991

 35 Years ago (October 1991) I started the month with a win at Chelmsford High School running the U-Lowell alumni race. I “felt lousy” and was out in 10th place in the early going (4:44 at the mile) before pulling away running 15:09 over the 5k cross-country course.

The following week I was locked in a tight battle with Rich Dorion (CMS) at the Applefest Half-marathon. Sometime after the big uphill at 10 miles Rich and I decided that it just wasn’t worth it to fight right to the finish. We ended up in a tie running 1:08:30. Three months later Rich and I would become teammates as I jumped ship from GLRR to CMS.

Next up was pacing Petey at the Baystate marathon. Mark Behan also ran with us for the first 15 before pulling ahead as Petey slowed. I stayed with Petey until he called it a day, then I upped the pace hoping to get back down to 6:00 pace for the total time. I ended up running 2:38:23 to take 4th place. The last 10k was run much faster than “tempo run” pace. Seven days later I closed out the month with a win at the Canton (MA) Gravy race.

1 Dave Dunham 30:12

2 Steve Warren 31:24
3 Washburn 31:47
4 Mike Woodman 32:04
5 Steinbrecher 33:25
7 Brad Hurst 33:56



No comments:

Post a Comment