Monday, August 17, 2026

Tom Walton 6 mile

 The finale for the CARS was the Tom Walton 6 mile. I had run six of the nine races so I didn’t need to run this one but could lose my place in the age graded if someone scored highly at this race. A higher score was a definite possibility as this course is very flat (except for the two times over the highway each lap). I was charged up for this race until I woke up sick on Thursday. Not sure what was up but felt bad enough that I did not do my morning run and took a half-day off work. I felt a little better as the day went on but the persistent headache and sluggishness persisted. My hope is this was a side effect from the new meds I’d been taking to prevent migraines. Off them now and getting some testing done to figure out what is up.

 

On to the race. I still felt “off” on Saturday but decided to give it a go. Last year I’d had a good race here breaking 39 minutes. Based on my racing this year I hoped to be around 40 minutes even with feeling lousy. The weather certainly cooperated with temps in the upper 60’s, with no wind and very low humidity. I got to Delta Dental a little before 7 a.m. and was surprised to see Dave La. He mentioned he needed one more race to get his sixth for the series. We picked up our numbers and got a quick picture with the Knight Riders team mascot. I headed out for a course preview, and it seemed warmer as there was zero shade. The course was well marked, but no mile markers and maybe just a self-serve water stop. No problem with the day being cool and with my watch beeping every half mile. I felt okay warming up and quickly switched into race shoes and got a picture with my sisters and brother in law. Rose and John were both doing the 6 mile in prep for a fall ½ marathon, and Denise was doing the 5k. We the multi-loop and out & back nature of the course I’d be seeing them a bunch of times. I headed out for another mile and headed for the line. I got a big hug from Tim Cox at the start, I hadn’t seen Tim at all this year, so it was nice to chat even for just a few seconds.

 

I lined up about 5 rows back and off we went. I was very cautious over the first half mile as the road was a bit crowded as things sorted out. The 5k would be doing one loop and my race would do a 180 turn at three miles and head back out for a second loop. I settled in and hit the mile in 6:39. That was right on for 40 minutes although I was not feeling good and watched as people just seemed to float away. With the out & back it was easy to get a count of how many were in front and at 1.5 miles I counted 35 ahead of me. Of course, many of those would be doing the 5k but there was no way of knowing who was doing which distance. There were a few guys ahead of me who I normally beat that were ahead of me, but I figured they were running the shorter race.
A second mile at 6:43 had me still on pace and I’d passed just 1 or 2 people so far. Another 6:43 had me at three miles in 20:05 and gave me a chance again to count places. This time only 10 were in front of me as many headed in for the 5k finish.

 

I started to feel a little better in the second lap and a 6:35 mile had me catching up to Chuck Wise, I could hear footsteps behind and knew that Matt Russel was still there (I’d passed him at 2.5 miles). I wanted a top 10 finish and was motivated having two guys right with me. A 6:39 fifth mile had me doing some quick math, I’d need to keep pressing to get in under 40 minutes. I also knew my 5m split was faster than I’d raced at the Bill Luit last month which was encouraging. I was feeling pretty good and working with both guys, I really wanted to push before the last ¼ mile as I figured both would probably manage a stronger kick than I could. My final mile was the fastest of the race (6:32) but I lost 16 and 6 seconds to the guys over the last ¼ despite not slowing. My “high end speed” is a thing of the long ago past…not that I was ever FAST. No complaints as I took 11th place and tops in the 60+ with a 39:50 and a second loop that was 20 seconds faster than the first. That closes the books on the CARS for the year and I’m glad I took part. I’m not sure what I’ll do next, I’ve got nothing on the calendar but hope that something interesting comes up.

 

It looks like the entire crew had a good day with Rose taking 8th in the 60+ and John also taking 8th in the 60+ (both in the 6m) and Denise taking 10th in the 60+ in the 5k. 


Pl       Time   Name           Sx      Age    City    St       Team

1        32:51 Sean McCauley        M       34      Canterbury NH        Granite State Endurance  

2        33:13 Nicholas Gosling     M       43      Bristol NH     Delta Dental

3        33:32 David Chorney        M       39      Concord NH  Granite State Endurance

4        33:48 Andrew Tuttle         M       31      Rochester NH         Bassett Hounds

5        33:53 Dave Beaudoin        M       48      Manchester NH       Knight Riders

6        34:55 Mike Veilleux M       48      Weare NH     Knight Riders

7        35:39 Corey Girard M       44      Pembroke NH         Knight Riders

8        38:26 Michael Martinez     M       47      Manchester NH       Knight Riders

9        39:34 Matt Russell  M       27      Concord NH 

10      39:44 Chuck Wise   M       51      Mltnborough NH     

11      39:50 Dave Dunham         M       62      Bradford MA  Delta Dental

12      41:33 Sarah Burdette        F        48      Concord NH  Delta Dental

13      42:59 Vincent Perelli         M       62      Hopkinton NH         Granite State Endurance

14      43:45 Steve McGowan      M       53      Concord NH  Granite State Endurance

15      44:50 Abbey Wood F        40      Laconia NH   Delta Dental

16      48:20 Ginny Hast    F        63      Bow NH                 Granite State Endurance

17      48:27 Peter Heslam M       59      Belmont NH  Delta Dental

18      48:59 Scott Sullivan M       28      Pittsfield NH 

19      49:02 Brylee Flood  F        15      Penacook NH Delta Dental

20      49:21 Michael Quinn         M       62      Arlington MA Somerville RR

21      49:58 Daniel Dambruoso M         47      Concord NH 

22      50:09 David Lapierre        M       62      Amherst NH  Millennium Running

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment