Saturday, August 15, 2026

Looking back - August 2021

 5 Years ago – August 2021

I started out the month sidelined, missing two days with sharp stabbing pain that landed me on the ground during a run.  I came back tentatively.  The MRI results showed a hip impingement, and I was given the okay to run and “let pain be my guide”. My hope was to make it through the Angels 5k (race #6 in the CARS). Ultimately, I’d need to run under 18:30 and was hoping to run under my time at the last race (Woodchuck = 18:19) which was hillier than Angels. Jim A, Christin D, and I warmed-up checking out the course. It was already closing on 80 degrees and humid at 7am.  I hoped to get out strong and was happy to hit the half-mile in 2:56 in 7th place.   Teammate Tim Cox went by with Lucas Fisher, I tried to keep them close.  I kept Tim in sight but could not close. At 1.6 we hit the only uphill in the course, and it was nasty.  I closed a bit on Connor Bernard and Timothy Lindberg, but Tim Cox was still 5 seconds up as I passed 2 miles in 11:45 (6:13).  I was right where I wanted to be but could not get going again.  I had hoped for around 5:50 for the final mile but mustered a 6-flat.  I did pass the two young guys and moved up to 6th but never closed on Tim.

 

1        16:53  Warren Bartlett                 24      Male   Loudon, NH   MOPEN                   

2        17:13  Drew Tuttle             26      Male   Alton, NH      MOPEN                  

3        17:25  Edward Stowell                 20      Male   Sutton, NH    MOPEN                   

5        18:16  Timothy Cox            48      Male   Northwood, NH       M4049          Duct Tape & Spit    

6        18:22  Dave Dunham                   57      Male   Bradford, MA M5059          Duct Tape & Spit    

9        18:33  Jim Angell               57      Male   Hopkinton, NH         M5059          Kezar 

10      18:58  Terrence Ferns                  52      Male   Nw London, NH          M5059 Kezar 

13      19:39  Christin Doneski                50      Female         Hopkinton, NH          FOPEN                   

15      19:55  Darin Brown            54      Male   Madison, NH M5059 Duct Tape & Spit

27      22:26  James Pawlicki                  46      Male   Lynn, MA      M4049          Duct Tape & Spit


My hip did not seem to respond to the cortisone shot. The NHTI Delta Dental races is typically one of the fastest in the series.  The dead-flat double loop course is certified, but always seems to run. Normally the NHTI race is in April, not during the height of summer with everyone heading out for the weekend.  It was 85 degrees and a sticky dew-point when the race kicked off at 6pm. I lined up with Darin Brown and Doug Deangelis and told Doug I was hoping to run around 6’s and see how it went.  I wasn’t in the top 20 in the early going and Doug and Jim Angel (Kezar Lake) were already pulling away. I slowly closed on Doug and Jim, but it seemed like every time I’d just about latch onto them they’d pull away again. By the end of the first loop, I’d gotten back with them again.  I did manage to stay within 2-3 seconds of Jim as late as 2.5 but then he slowly pulled away and I just had nothing to give.  I ended up staggering into the finish 5-6 seconds behind Jim and very nearly caught by the Kezar Lake 2nd guy (also in the 50+ age group!).  Doug, Jim A, and Darin joined me for a nice loop of the NHTI XC course for a warm-down.  I decided that since it was such a nice night and I’m rarely out for sunset I’d boogie on over to Oak Hill and visit the fire tower for sunset.  I actually felt a bit better on the 1.25 mile (400’ of climb) up to the tower and got there just as the sun was sinking behind Mt Kearsarge.  I took a few pics then headed off to the highest point in Concord (a little below the summit) before heading back down just as it was getting fully dark.


Pl       Time  AGtme         AG % Name Age

1        18:35  15:29  83.85  Jim Angell     56

2        18:41  15:34  83.40  Dave Dunham         57      Duct tape & spit

3        20:08  15:42  82.72  Michael Barry 64

4        18:43  16:13  80.04  Terrence Ferns        52

5        19:11  16:15  79.94  Doug Deangelis       54      Duct tape & spit


NHTI Delta Dental results (08/27/21)

 

Pl       Time   Pace   Name            Ag      Sex     City              St       Cat          Team

1        16:12  5:13   Warren Bartlett       24      Male   Loudon                   NH          MOPEN        

2        16:26  5:18   Drew Tuttle   26      Male   Alton            NH      MOPEN         

3        16:45  5:24   Michael Mott 19      Male   Alton            NH      MOPEN         

8        18:35  5:59   Jim Angell     57      Male   Hopkinton     NH      M5059          Kezar

9        18:41 6:01  Dave Dunham      57      Male  Bradford     MA          M5059        Duct Tape

10      18:43  6:02   Terrence Ferns        52      Male   New London  NH          M5059 Kezar

11      19:08  6:10   Mike McGuire 56      Male   Stratham       NH      M5059

13      19:11  6:11   Doug Deangelis       55      Male   Newbury       MA          M5059 Duct Tape

14      19:43  6:21   Darin Brown  54      Male   Madison        NH      M5059          Duct Tape

15      19:44  6:21   Allison Davis  34      Female         Concord        NH          FOPEN         

17      20:08  6:29   Michael Barry 65      Male   Northwood    NH      M6069

24      21:11  6:50   James Pawlicki        46      Male   Lynn             MA          M4049 Duct Tape

 






No comments:

Post a Comment