Monday, July 27, 2026

Woodchuck 5k

Next up in the CARS was the Woodchuck “Classic” 5k which was my favorite in the series because it has a choice of a t-shirt or a 16 ounce jug of maple syrup. I always take the maple syrup! The days leading up to the race were not great as I had another migraine and was in a post-migraine funk. I was also dreading the 150’ of downhill in the first ½ mile of the race which my arthritic foot would not appreciate. As this would be my sixth race in the series and you need six to score I knew I’d get through and give it my all. Race day was just about ideal with low humidity and temperatures in the low 60’s. I ran the course for a warm-up and there weren’t even any deerflies out and the dirt road parts were in pretty good shape. Things were looking up.

 



I switched into race flats and headed out for another mile catching up to Darrin for a moment. Over 200 lined up for the mad dash down through the Canterbury Fair. I got on the right side of the line (no timing mat so I wanted to be as close to the start as possible but out of danger) and off we went. I counted at least 30 ahead of me as the steepest grade eased after a quarter mile. I was a bit surprised to hit the half in 2:43 and didn’t lose any places passing the mile in 5:48 (3:05 second half mile). This was as fast as I’d run last year and I was expecting to be about 30-45 seconds slower than last year (based on my other races so far this year). I was passing some early fast starters and as we hit the first tough little hill the lead woman went flying by. I was shocked at how hard she took the 50 foot climb. I dug in and tried to close the gap on a few in front of me. A 6:36 second mile had me still well under my goal pace and even with a shot at breaking 20 minutes. I caught Rob Franger on the tough 70 foot climb (dirt road) from 2.5 to 2.75 miles and we had a good battle. I thought I dropped him but he went back by me on the final downhill to the finish line. I can’t complain, the 20:05 is only 12 seconds slower than I ran last year and my second fastest time for any 5k this year. This course may be the toughest 5k in the series with 213’ of climb. Mike V from Knight Riders met me at the finish with congrats and an ice cold water (thanks Mike!) and I headed up the hill for a short ½ mile warm-down. Then it was off for a much nicer 4 mile warm-down to close out the morning.

 

1        15:39  Cody Symonds        Male   29      Alexandria NH         FLOAT

2        15:53  Hiroshi KawakatsuMale      29      Greenwich CT         

3        16:33  Colton Ham   Male   32      Loudon         NH     

4        16:51  Eli Lemire     Male   20      Weare NH      DELTA DENTAL

5        17:25  Dave Beaudoin        Male   48      Manchester NH        KNIGHT RIDERS

6        17:25  Andrew Tuttle         Male   31      Rochester NH          BASSET HOUNDS

7        17:26  Nicholas Gosling      Male   43      Bristol NH      DELTA DENTAL

8        17:37  Mike Veilleux Male   48      Weare NH      KNIGHT RIDERS

9        18:11  Corey Girard  Male   44      Pembroke NH          KNIGHT RIDERS

10      18:16  James Busi    Male   29      Pembroke NH          FLOAT

11      18:18  Max Acree     Male   34      Manchester NH       

12      18:50  Liam Conery  Male   24      Concord        NH      DELTA DENTAL

13      18:59  Jack Gagne   Male   15      Chester         NH     

14      19:04  Thomas Cook Male   40      Amherst        NH      KNIGHT RIDERS

15      19:13  William Bohlke        Male   47      Kingshill        VI      

16      19:26  C.J. Hiltyq     Male   25      Concord       NH      GRANITE STATE ENDURANCE PROJECT

17      19:36  Maya Brochu Female         21      Bow    NH     

18      19:55  Justin Clark   Male   31      Canterbury NH       

19      20:04  Rob Franger  Male   30      Salem NH      FLOAT

20      20:05  Dave Dunham         Male   62      Bradford        MA      DELTA DENTAL

21      20:20  Matt Russell  Male   27      Concord        NH     

22      20:31  Luke Robichaud       Male   34      Penacook NH

23      20:33  Elliott Morin   Male   13      Goffstown NH         

24      20:38  Benjamin Strauss     Male   55      New Boston NH       OVER THE HILL

25      20:40  Jasmine Syed Female         27      Canterbury NH       

26      20:45  Adam Hoffman        Male   42      Londonderry NH     

27      20:46  Osama Duwaji         Male   36      Rochester NH         

28      20:55  Sarah Burdette        Female         48      Concord        NH          DELTA DENTAL

29      21:11  Emma Bouton         Female         29      Contoocook NH      

30      21:22  David Saarinen        Male   55      Bedford         NH      KNIGHT RIDERS

31      21:27  Caleb Wing   Male   13      Concord        NH     

32      21:36  Bill Tidd                  Male   63      Alton Bay NH BASSET HOUNDS

33      21:38  Charlotte Boyington Female 15     Chester         NH      DELTA DENTAL

34      21:45  Darin Brown  Male   59      Madison        NH      DELTA DENTAL

35      21:50  Sarah Galligan         Female         39      Concord        NH          DELTA DENTAL

36      21:59  Mike Frappier Male   32      Concord        NH     

38      22:02  Richard Clymer        Male   66      Concord        NH      OVER THE HILL

37      22:02  Vincent Perelli         Male   62      Hopkinton NH          GRANITE STATE ENDURANCE PROJECT

39      22:10  Steve McGowan       Male   53      Concord        NH      GRANITE STATE ENDURANCE PROJECT

40      22:20  Taylor Livingstone Male     14      Holderness NH          HOLDERNESS HAWKS

42      22:21  David Hartmann      Male   17      Concord        NH     

41      22:21  Sarah Zarnowski      Female         39      Concord        NH   GRANITE STATE ENDURANCE PROJECT

43      22:23  Scott Williams         Male   41      Concord        NH     

44      22:29  Dave Gagne  Male   54      Chester         NH     

45      22:32  Elizabeth Beeson     Female         54      Holderness NH          HOLDERNESS HAWKS

46      22:52  Justin Davis   Male   38      Concord        NH     

47      22:58  Bruce Dyke   Male   60      Chichester NH         GRANITE STATE ENDURANCE PROJECT

48      23:13  Hannah Clarner       Female         15      Contoocook NH      

49      23:14  Ellison Gregory        Female         15      Contoocook NH      

50      23:21  Michele Busi  Female         28      Pembroke NH          FLOAT

 

No comments:

Post a Comment