Tuesday, September 3, 2024

A long day

I  kicked off the long weekend by taking an extra day off on Friday.  Well, it wasn’t exactly a day OFF.  I got out the door at 6am for a sunny and cool (48 degrees) 30 mile ride on the Freeman rail trail.  This was the first time I’d ridden the current version from end to end.  I parked at the Crosspoint towers in Lowell and rode out to Powder Mill road in Concord.  It was exactly 30 miles round trip.  I’ll be able to add another dozen miles to that next spring when they complete the section through Sudbury which would then open up access to the Mass Central trail.




After visiting my folks (and getting trounced by dad in cribbage) I headed up to Kennebunkport for a run in that town and neighboring Biddeford.  It was not the most scenic run with the exception being the clocktower farm and a nice tidal flat.



I’ve started working on running in every city/town in Maine and the drive (and finding parking) is going to be the tough part.  I made the most of it with a trip on some nice dirt roads in the Massebesic experimental forest which got me Dayton, Hollis, and Lyman.







I then got in a short hike in Casco with a visit to Cascade Falls.  The hike round trip was only 1km and the falls was not much to see (although I hear it can be something during a winter melt).


I parked in Scarborough and then did a very nice 13.3 mile ride on the Easter trail, part of this I’ll ride next week, and most of it I’d never ridden on before.  That got me 50 miles between running, biking, and hiking.


I closed out the day with an easy walk on the beach with Eric & Chris and the dogs.



The next day Eric and I did a nice run on the Eastern Trail.  We’d run on it once last year but this year went north on the much more scenic section that goes through the Eastern Marsh.  The motel also had peach trees which made for a nice post-run snack!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment