Friday, September 13, 2024

Looking back - September 1979

 September 1979 - 45 years ago: I started my sophomore year at Billerica High School with my first season of cross-country! I did some training over the summer (6 miles a day 5 days a week) with the goal of making the varsity squad by the end of the season. I got in 138 miles with 8 days off (mostly weekends) and raced three times during September. My first XC race (09/17/1979) was a dual meet at Billerica’s home course against Lawrence. I finished in second place (JV) running 16:29 for the 2.6 mile mostly paved course around the parking lot of the high school. A week later I won my first XC race taking first in a dual meet against Dracut at Dracut with a 14:21 for 2.4 miles. Five days later I was back on my home course this time against Central. I took 1:24 off of my time from two weeks before. I led the JV squad running a 15:05.  This would be the highpoint of the season as I only raced a couple of more times due to multiple ankle sprains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment